They were transported to an unknown location

Jordanian detainees of conscience have been on hunger strike for 20 days

15 Dec 2021
Jordanian detainees of conscience have been on hunger strike for 20 days

An informed source inside Al-Wathba prison in the UAE stated that 3 Jordanian detainees of conscience have gone on a hunger strike to protest the harsh conditions and mistreatment by the Emirati authorities, as well as the deprivation of basic rights such as medication.

The source told the Emirates Detainees Advocacy Centre (EDAC) that the detainees, Baha Matar and two brothers Abdullah and Yasser Abu Bakr, went on hunger strike 20 days ago. For the first ten days, the authorities threatened them with beatings and solitary confinement and tried to force them to eat, but the detainees refused to comply and insisted on their demands for better treatment.

The source, who requested anonymity, confirmed that the strikers were transferred from their location in Ward No. 9 to an unknown location, with no word yet on their fate.

Read: The family of a Jordanian detainee appeals to the king to intercede for the release of their son from UAE jails

The source pointed out that the health of detainee Matar has noticeably deteriorated as a result of the strike and medical neglect, and expressed deep concern about the fate of the three detainees.

EDAC also learned from sources close to the families of the detainees that contact with their families has been absent for more than 10 days, prompting them to contact the Jordanian Embassy in the UAE and the relevant foreign affairs authorities, without receiving any response so far.

Read: 6 years since the arrest of 4 Jordanians in UAE jails over a 'WhatsApp' message

It is worth noting that the three Jordanian detainees in the UAE, as well as a fourth, Maher Abu Al-Shawareb, were arrested in 2015 based on messages in their WhatsApp group that included messages and video clips about the Yemen war and ISIS. Abu Dhabi charged them with "promoting a terrorist organisation by posting and possessing public photos and videos." The court decided to gaol them for 10 years and pay them one million dirhams each.

Despite repeated attempts by their families to demand their release, and human rights and media campaigns calling for their release, nothing has changed in their case.